Well moving right along. I have around 60-70 cubic yards of red clay as my back stop. It has been weathered down a bit over the past year and a half. Inside is a core of 3 inch chunks of asphalt from a local road that was removed 3 years ago. Our friend the Farmer has a brother in law that works for the state and he needed a place to dump some dirt, granite embankment rock and chunks of asphalt, well I didn't turn him down. In the first picture here, I put the 3 point post hole digger on the tractor with a 6" auger bit and drilled down in the soil around 25-30" down. I didn't use concrete in them as I pushed the red clay back in and periodically stopped then took a sledge hammer and rammed it into the hole to pack it in. Once the rains come, it will harden up real good. I choose to use landscaping timbers instead of fence post from Tractor Supply or 4 X 4 posts from Home depot and here is the reason why. They cost over half the price as the others, they are pressure treated, and have a flat side to screw boards into.
|The boys and I deciding what we want to hang|
|Phase 1 complete|
As you can see from the above picture, I added a variety of different targets and also a board to add paper targets for sighting in. I have thought about adding some more steel to it and getting rid of the tanks. With the price of the steel, I will take some time to do that.
With the addition of this more formal range, JUGM and I wanted to get the boys a nice gun that they could learn with that was an easy gun to use, clean, and fire. I also wanted it so I could add my suppressor to it so we went with a classic reborn: the Ruger Mark IV 22/45
|ND taking a turn on it|
|NW having his turn|
As I am writing this, JUGM is giving me the evil eye about helping her with the corn we picked today. Stay safe out there.
Update on corn from the first picking tonight for "K", picked, packed and heading to the freezer.